Your smile is a significant part of your appearance. In fact, teeth and eyes have been found to be the most important features of an attractive face. A smile can also make you appear more approachable and happy. If your teeth aren't your favorite feature, don't worry. There are several ways to make your smile paparazzi-worthy.
A Proper Diet
You can eat and drink your way to healthier, whiter teeth. For a nice smile, Web MD suggests the following diet:
- Sugar-free drinks: Drinking water and other beverages without sugar helps wash away acid-producing food. After all, acids can cause tooth enamel to erode. When this happens, the underlying dentin becomes exposed and this causes your teeth to look yellow.
- Dairy: Milk and cheese are some good picks for beautiful teeth. The calcium protects your enamel and dairy products can also increase saliva production, which neutralizes the acids swimming around in your mouth.
- Omega-3s: If you want your gums to look healthy and pink, try increasing the amount of Omega-3 fatty acids in your diet. The omega-3s in fish and flaxseed help decrease gum inflammation.
The Right Makeup
Certain makeup shades help your teeth look whiter. For instance, eye shadows in cooler shades, like purple or green, can deflect yellow shades from your teeth. Using bronzer, blue-toned lip gloss, and berry lipstick are a few other makeup tips to help your smile look brighter. Finally, to prevent stains from latching onto your teeth, you can swipe a little petroleum jelly across your pearly whites.
If your smile needs more attention, you might consider looking into cosmetic dentistry. A professional from a firm like Gentle Family Dentistry & Orthodontics can improve your smile with the following procedures:
- Porcelain Veneers: Made up of thin ceramic layers and an adhesive, veneers can help you alter the color, shape, and size of your teeth. During this procedure, a little bit of your existing tooth enamel has to be removed to make room for your veneer.
- Dental Implants: If you have a missing tooth, you might want to consider dental implants, otherwise known as an artificial tooth root that can house a replacement tooth. The implant is either placed in the bone, an endosteal implant, or on the bone, a subperiosteal implant. Along with filling in any gaps in your mouth, implants also help your face maintain its structure.
Now, go ahead and smile. However, after using these tips, don't be surprised if the paparazzi mistake you for a celebrity.